It is now officially autumn and there is “a feeling in the air.” The air is getting crisper in the evenings and the leaves are, ever so slightly, showing signs of changing. I don’t understand how fall is not everyone’s absolute favorite time of year. I really don’t. I don’t dislike any of the seasons. I enjoy them all and I would not want to live somewhere where they don’t get to enjoy all 4 seasons. There is just something extra special about autumn. My wife and I even named our first child “Autumn Grace.”
I recently read Bubba Smith’s blog where he discusses his favorite things about fall. (You should check out his site at http://www.BubbaSmith.net) Reading his blog both got me excited about autumn and inspired me to write about the things I love as well. So here you have it, a few of the many reasons why autumn is far and away the best season.
1. The feeling in the air. I am not sure if anyone remembers the band “Better Than Ezra,” but they had a tune that talked about “a feeling in the air” called “This Time of Year.” They were on to something. I don’t know quite how to describe this wonderful aspect of fall other than “there’s a feeling in the air.”
2. Changing leaves. This is an obvious one. Certainly some years are better than others, but it is hard to beat the beauty of Autumn leaves.
3. Hunting season. When fall arrives so does one of my favorite pastimes. I love getting out in the woods and hunting gives me an excuse to do it during the most beautiful time to be out there.
4. Blue sky. This one may just be me, but I think the sky is “bluer” in the fall. Every thing seems more vivid and beautiful to me. It could simply be that I can finally see things clearly after the humidity and haze of summer has gone, but either way, I love it.
5. Holidays. When Autumn rolls around we are also moving into the “holiday season.” Looking forward to time with family, focusing on being thankful and preparing to celebrate Jesus’ birth go in the “plus” column for fall as well.
6. Breaking out your favorite sweatshirt, jacket or other cool weather clothing.
7. Football season is here.
8. Beverages. From apple cider to hot cocoa, there are some drinks that just seem out of place when enjoyed outside of fall.
9. Fire. Whether it is an outdoor bon-fire or indoors in a fire place, it is nice to enjoy some warmth instead of trying to escape from it.
10. Hay rides, harvest parties, the smell of the air in the morning, jumping into leaf piles…
Ok, there are lots and lots of reasons to love fall. Did I miss any?